In the Valley of Sóller everyone is ready for one of the great events of the year: his popular festivals of Moors and Christians, known as “Es Firó“. This local festival commemorates the victory of the “sollerics” (inhabitants of the Sóller Valley) in the face of the pirate attack that occurred on May 11, 1561.
This celebration is concentrated every year around the second sunday of May, and the following Monday, which is the most important day, known as “Es Firó”. This year 2018, it is celebrated on Monday, May 14.
It is a historical representation of the Saracen invasion of our city, from its landing in Port de Sóller to the febrile defense of the sollerics that after three battles managed to defeat them in the town square. “Es Firó” is characterized by being a very noisy party with thunder and firecrackers in which the joy and passion of the sollerics for their people and their history becomes more than evident.
Act Program of “Es Firó” 2018, May 14th
- 3:00 pm, ringing bells. Enemy ships have been spotted. The farmers meet in the Plaza de los Estiradors to go to the fight.
- 3:30 pm, in the town square. Captain Angelats entrusts himself to the Virgin of Victory and encourages the farmers: In the struggle, sollerics! Bandits arrive to help defend the town of Sóller. They will then receive the Royal Pardon.
- 5:00 pm, on the beach of Can Generós, the Saracen troops try to disembark, but after a hard fight they are rejected by the Sollerics.
- 6:15 pm. at the beach of En Repic, the Saracens try again to disembark and achieve their goal.
- 7:15 pm, at the Pont d’en Barona, once the Solleric troops have retreated, they face the invaders again in a hard battle.
- 8:30 pm, in the town square, the Saracen troops who have disembarked in Ses Puntes enter the city through the Campo de S’Oca. They sack the houses and the church.
- 8:50 pm. King Ulutx Ali, who believes himself the victor, arrives to take possession of the Houses of the Villa and thus proclaim his victory.
- 9:00 pm The peasants who return are the Villa taken and looted. Regrouped on Sa Luna Street and animated by Captain Angelats, they fight valiantly and, finally, the enemy finally defeats.
- 9:30 p.m. Captain Angelats proclaims victory of the sollerics and thanks to the Virgin of Victory. Song of the Balanguera. Next, transfer of the Virgin of the Victory in the church of the Hospicio, accompanied by the historical personages and the participants of the Firó.
Enjoy “Es Firó” from the sea with MaksyBoats
One of the most outstanding events of “Es Firó”, consists in the landing of the pirates in Port de Sóller. Book your boat with MaksyBoats and enjoy this unique tradition from a different point of view!
Tarpon 470 Luxe for up to 8 people